In one of my lives I produce documentary films. We are currently working on our latest project Battle Castle. Over the past few years, I have visited each of our Battle Castle Six: Crac des Chevaliers, Chateau Gaillard, Dover Castle, Conwy Castle, Malbork Castle and the Alcazaba and Gibralfaro in Malaga, Spain.
Here five tips for sieging your favourite castle.
- Buy the guidebook (ahead of time). English Heritage and CADW have fabulous guidebooks. Get it ahead of time and make YOUR list of must sees.
- Take a tour, guided or audio. Malbork Castle in Poland has great system of registering their guides. They must take a test to prove their knowledge of the castle. They can point out things most people don’t notice.
- Get there early. Take it from me, castles are best without the crowds. It stokes your imagination when you can hear the wind whistling through the battlements.
- Take a flashlight. There are lots of places that are not well lit and you don’t want to miss anything.
- Fuel up. There is nothing worse than rushing through just because you are hungry. Plan a break. Check off your list and lay out your next plan of attack.
If you’d like to see more pictures, I’ve posted a bunch on Facebook.
Do you have any other tips? I’d love to hear them.